Prevent Clothes Dryer Fires
Dryer Fires: Get the Facts
Around 2,900 home clothes dryer fires are reported each year. They are estimated at being the cause of 5 deaths, 100 injuries, and $35 million in property loss every year. Failure to clean the dryer (34 percent) is the leading cause of home clothes dryer fires.
Fall and Winter months are when a majority of the fires occur with January being the peak month.
Clothes Dryer Safety Tips
- Have a professional install and service your dryer.
- Clean the lint filter before and after each cycle and never use the dryer without a lint filter.
- Regularly clean the back of the dryer where lint can build up.
- Periodically check the venting system behind the dryer to make sure that it is not restricted, damaged or crushed.
- Always check that the outdoor vent covering opens when the dryer is operating.
For source information and free fire-safety resources, visit: https://www.usfa.fema.gov/prevention/